Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why won't John Piper leave me alone?


Why won't John Piper leave me alone?

He harasses me when I watch TV. You see, I was once listening to his podcast, "Ask Pastor John," and he was discussing entertainment. He said he doesn't watch much commercial entertainment because most entertainment asks us to be entertained by things that Jesus died to end.

Now, that makes it a little more difficult to watch That '70s Show and Friends. And it's not a legalism thing; it's just reality. So now I sometimes hear John Piper when I try to watch TV. His words harass me.

So, what am I to do with my time? If I have people around, I guess I could talk to them. But what about when I'm alone? I can read a little, but not for hours; that's just not the way I roll. So, this evening, I turned off the TV, read a couple chapters of Exodus (book 3 in my reading plan) and then listened to some podcasts.

This evening, I was able to listen to a few short lectures about Exodus and the Covenant from Biblical Training, and I listened to a sermon on the reliability of biblical texts from Mark Dever. I could have watched re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends, which is more my M.O. But, I think I might have done something better with my time.

Why won't John Piper leave me alone? Because the Holy Spirit is at work in me through his words.

---

Father, thank you so much for the wonderful gifts of godly teachers. Thank you for John Piper and Mark Dever. Thank you for the gracious ministries, such as Biblical Training, that make their resources available free for the building up of the body of Christ. Help me to desire you more than frivolous entertainment, for you are not a frivolous God. You are a God of purpose and focus. And you focus on your glory. Help me rejoice in your glory and the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: