Monday, July 28, 2008

I completed a reading of Matthew

Now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet:
Matthew 1:22, CSB

I have just finished Matthew, the second book in my Bible reading plan.

---

Father, thank you for the amazing witness you have given your people through your word. You sent so many messengers to prepare the way for the Messiah, and you gave so many clues to his coming. And Jesus fulfills every one. Blessed is the person who has not seen and yet has believed. And you have given us such great cause to believe because your truth has been recorded and carefully passed on through thousands of generations.

Thank you for all those reverent saints who tirelessly cared for your word and copied your word for future readers. I praise you for the wonderful witness of those believers who were willing to risk their own lives to put your word into the hands of your children.

Thank you for preserving your word through the ages so that I could read today how Jesus fulfilled your promises. And because you have kept every promise in the past, I can have faith you will keep your promises in the future. Because you could cause Caesar to hold a census to get your son to be born in Bethlehem, I know nothing is too big for you. Because you told centuries ahead of time the price put on Jesus, I know no detail is too small for your attention.

Father, I can sleep tonight knowing that you are in control and I am in your care. I do not know the future, but I know that you control the future. So, I trust myself to you. I trust myself to your grace and compassion. I know that you, having given your own son to rescue me from my sin, will not withhold anything good from me.

Strengthen my faith and help me live by your love. Help me grow to be more like you. Help me keep your glory in thoughts and make your glory my motivation. Help me rejoice in you.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments: