Friday, July 11, 2008

reading through the Bible

Teach me, LORD, the meaning of Your statutes,
and I will always keep them.
Help me understand Your instruction,

and I will obey it and follow it with all my heart.
Help me stay on the path of Your commands,

for I take pleasure in it.
Turn my heart to Your decrees

and not to material gain.
Turn my eyes

from looking at what is worthless;
give me life in Your ways.
Confirm what You said to Your servant,
for it produces reverence for You.

Psalm 119:33-38, CSB

Have you ever read the entire Bible? I don't really know if I have. But, because I've never used a comprehensive plan for studying the Bible, I don't know that I've read everything.
And not having a comprehensive plan also makes it more difficult for me to sit down and study the Bible. When I taught a Bible study, I had something to study each week. But, in general, I just sit down and read something. But, what should I read? I usually end up doing one of two things: a) read a familiar section--perhaps 1 John since it's short and reasonable easy to understand, or b) randomly pick one of those sections I feel I probably neglect--perhaps Amos.
So, I have decided to try a plan to read through the Bible. Zondervan has a bunch of reading plans, but I chose this one because a) it's self-paced, b) it cover the entire Bible and c) I can check off what I've read and make sure I cover the entire Bible in time.
This morning, I read Genesis 1-3. It was a little tempting to pre-check all those parts that I know I've already read. But, I am not going to do that. I am starting fresh.

---
Father, I pray that you will bless me as I read your word. Help me to understand your message and to take it in and love it. Give me a passion for you and your word, and give me the desire to know you more and more. Let me see your beauty and value so that I would not value anything above you; help me crush all my idols and live for your glory alone. Through your Spirit, and ebcause of your son Jesus, teach me to love you with all my heart, all my strength, all my soul, and all my mind. Amen.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Bruce,
This is a great post. May I include it in my linky love post next week?

Also, are there any reading plans you would recommend for me?

Anonymous said...

Reading through the Bible from start to finish is a blessing. There's something different about it. For anyone who has never done it I highly recommend it.

Reading plans never worked for me for some reason... I found that going at my own pace was what I needed.

I look forward to hearing how it's going for you Bruce. I'm sure you will discover something you didn't know was there.