Thursday, July 31, 2008

God hears our cries

After a long time, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned because of their difficult labor, and they cried out; and their cry for help ascended to God because of the difficult labor. So God heard their groaning, and He remembered His covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God saw the Israelites, and He took notice.
Exodus 2:23-25, CSB

---

Father, you are so great and merciful. You are so compassionate and beneficent. We sinners do not deserve anything from you but your judgment. I do not deserve anything but your wrath and condemnation. And we all suffer because of our sinfulness. But, you hear our cries for help, and you remember your promises to our fathers. You save us out of your boundless love and grace. Oh, how great is your grace and how blessed are we to know you!

When you made your promises to our spiritual fathers, it was not because of anything they had done good. You chose Abraham, not because of his strength or righteousness, but because of your plan for your glory. It is through saving us in our weakness that your are shown to be strong, and how strong you are. Nothing stands in your way, not even Pharaoh and all his army. May your name be praised throughout the world.

Father, I cannot thank you enough, and I do not even feel enough thanks, to give you the praise you deserve for adopting me into your family, making me a child of Abraham. Give me the thankfulness I should have for you. Help me see, ever more clearly, the wonderful blessing I have in you. Help me know you more closely and deeply. Help me know you with breadth and depth and make you known through my witness.

Help me see wonderful things in word and treasure your word in my heart. Help me see Jesus in your word and see your unfolding plan of salvation through your prophets and your deeds.

Let me part of your continuing work today. Use me to advance your mission on earth. Help me reach out to those around me and love them as I love myself. Give me such a deep love for you, with all my soul, all my strength, and all my mind, that love for my neighbor naturally pours out. Help me be like a tree that bears good fruit, not for myself, but for those around me and for your glory.

Father, I pray for Heather. Heal her. Bless her. Let her know that you are there for her and that you hear her. Be her comfort. And bless her family through this time.

Bless your missionaries in China as that nation prepares for the Olympics. May this be a fruitful time and not a distraction. Be with those athletes that compete for your glory. And use this time to remind your children throughout the world that, like the Olympic runners, we are to run so as to claim our prize.

Because you heard the cries of Israel, I can know that you will also take notice of me. In whatever trouble I experience, you are not absent. You are there for me and with me. Your Spirit and your word guide me. Help me live by your Spirit and your word, and help me find refuge in your presence.

I ask these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: