Monday, August 18, 2008

Missions Monday

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:16-20, ESV

---

Father, you are a missionary God. From the beginning, when Adam and Eve sinned, you sought them out. You called out to Adam and confronted him with his sin. And you cast them out of your presence and sealed off their path to the tree of life. But, you also promised to provide for their atonement. And throughout the generations until Jesus, your people looked forward to your promised salvation. And since that time, your people have lived with joy from their faith in Jesus--the knowledge that their sins are forgiven and they have been set free to live their lives for your glory.

You called out to Abraham and chose him to receive a blessing and promised that through him, all people groups would be blessed. You sent Jonah to the lost people of Nineveh and showed your care for even those who live their lives in evil. You gave us your law to show us that we are all evil; there is no one who does good. And you sent Jesus to show us that, despite our own weakness, we can be saved through your strength.

You have called your people to speak your word as they live their lives. You have called us to tell the people throughout the world about you. You have called
many of us to leave our homes and move to foreign nations so that your good news might be proclaimed among the people. I pray that you would bless those missionaries. And I pray that you will call more of us to take your good news throughout the earth. And I pray that your church would see the great task and devote themselves to sending missionaries.

And I thank you for the chance to live in America and to be a teacher. As a teacher, the nations come to me. Help me to be a witness for your glory as I live my life and do my job. Help my students see your love in me. Let me be a lamp for your light. Help me see my students and my coworkers as people you lovingly made in your image. Help me make the most of every opportunity. Give me wisdom to act according to your will. May Christian teachers throughout the world fulfill your purposes and communicate your glory to their students.

I ask these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: