Monday, April 28, 2008

obliterated from the earth

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Get up early in the morning and present yourself to Pharaoh. Tell him: This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews says: Let My people go, so that they may worship Me. Otherwise, I am going to send all My plagues against you, your officials, and your people. Then you will know there is no one like Me in all the earth. By now I could have stretched out My hand and struck you and your people with a plague, and you would have been obliterated from the earth. However, I have let you live for this purpose: to show you My power and to make My name known in all the earth.
Exodus 9:13-16, CSB


-----

How great is the patience of God? Father, you are in complete control over the universe and you sustain everything that exists. Nothing exists without you. At any moment, you can take a life or destroy an entire civilization. Yet, you bear patiently with humanity, even though we constantly rebel against you. We, who depend on you for our very lives, try in futility to live our lives apart from you. We try to make ourselves into gods and act as if we have control or knowledge. And though we live this way, you have not destroyed us. Instead, you speak to us. You teach us. You forgive us by the life, death and resurrection of your son, Jesus. How great is our God!

You do more than spare our lives. You have even gone beyond forgiving our sins and pardoning us for our rebellion. You have adopted us as your children and made us heirs with Christ of your eternal fortune that we will enjoy in heaven for ever. And you, God, who gave us your son, will be faithful and kind to supply us with our every need so that we may bring you glory.

Father, I pray that you would bless Charlotte and help Jennifer and me as we teach her to love you and live her life for you. Through your Spirit, father, call her and give her a heart for you.

Bless my church, father, and help us live as a community of your people; help us encourage one another and be salt and light among our neighbors.

And guide me and teach me so that I may know you better and live the glorious life you desire for your people.

And I ask these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: