Tuesday, April 29, 2008

justice throughout the land

"LORD my God, You have now made Your servant king in my father David's place. Yet I am just a youth with no experience in leadership. Your servant is among Your people You have chosen, a people too numerous to be numbered or counted. So give Your servant an obedient heart to judge Your people and to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?"
Now it pleased the Lord that Solomon had requested this. So God said to him, "Because you have requested this and did not ask for long life or riches for yourself, or the death of your enemies, but you asked discernment for yourself to understand justice, I will therefore do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has never been anyone like you before and never will be again.

1 Kings 3:7-12, CSB

------

Father, I just read of yet another man freed from prison after DNA evidence cleared his name. 27 years in prison; I cannot imagine it. Father, I praise you for those who seek justice in this world. I ask you to bless the work of Project Innocence and help them right injustices throughout our nation. And, father, I plead that your church--your people called by your name for your glory--would take up the cause of justice in our nation. May we cry out for truth to be known.

Many times, your people are loud about injustices, such as abortion. And I am thankful that your people are active in that cause. But I pray that we would defend all those who are innocent, children and adults. Injustice anywhere cannot be tolerated. You are a just God; may your church raise up your banner and fight for justice, too.

And I pray for James Woodard and all the other innocent men freed from prison. Father, bless them and help them forgive. And help them as they transition back into society. For those who know you and love you, may they rejoice in knowing you are in control. Just as you were in control when Joseph was enslaved, and you meant for good to come from that evil, you are in control in events happening today. May those victims of injustice who know you also know that you work all things for the good of those who love you. And for those who do not know you, open their hearts to your word so that they may see, though they were incarcerated for crimes they did not commit, you offer them forgiveness and redemption for the crimes they did commit.

I ask these things in the name of Jesus, my advocate against the adversary. Amen.

No comments: